The passenger steamer Alexandra was commissioned in May 1908. During the first world war Alexandra served as an outpost boat. After the war she served as a passenger steamer at the north eastern shores of Germany, once again owned by the Fördereederei. Between 1939 and 1945 the ship
was used as a pilot boat in the Baltic Sea and as a dive boat in Gdansk Bay. In 1945 she brought back thousands of refugees to the passenger ship Wilhelm Gustloff in Gotenhafen. In the last days of the war she made it back to Schleswig-Holstein with several refugees. The captain and his crew barely avoided the Alexandra being sunk.
From 1946 to 1975 the Alexandra served the route between Flensburg and Glücksburg. Not being profitable anymore the shipping company decommissioned her in August 1975 and Alexandra rotted in Flensburg’ harbor for quite a while. In January 1980 an association was founded. Their goal was to preserve steam-powered vessels of the region. Alexandra was extensively restored and since 1989 she goes regularly on cruises as a museum ship.